Fw: [mythtv-users] More FC2 MythTV problems...

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 9 00:23:36 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 21:04, 1canuck2 wrote:
> Jarod,
>
> You solved the problem! Your shots in the dark are good...

Blind squirrel finds a nut... :-p

> For some reason, on the Screen Settings screen, everything was set to 0 AND
> the "Use GUI Size" checkbox was set to on. "Run the frontend in a window"
> was also set to on.
> I have now unchecked them both.
>
> On the VideoMode settings screen "Seperate modes for GUI and TV Playback"
> was also checked on and all the values were 0. This is now also unchecked

I'm guessing this was actually the one that was doing it, but I could be
wrong.

> So, what are the default settings for each of these screens? Can I set
> these back to default with a simple setting? If not, can someone let me
> know what their defaults and/or prefered settings are for these two
> screens.

It sounds like you're pretty much back to the defaults.

The "use separate modes" setting is primarily for HDTV, where you'd rather
have a progressive-scan mode for the UI, because its much more readable, then
switch to 1920x1080 interlaced for full-resolution playback of 1080i HDTV
streams.

"Use GUI Size" is often useful when your picture is quite a bit overscanned.
You tweak out the UI to fit within the visible area of your display, then
tell the video to run inside that same space. Running in a window is less
useful for a dedicated Myth box (though some window manager combos won't
honor the UI offsets, so running in a window and moving it w/your mouse
becomes the only option). I think its most useful when you're running the
frontend on a workstation.

> My MythTV box is now functional! Yay.

*cheering from the crowd*

> Thanks to everyone for their patience and help. The last problem makes me
> feel exceptionally stupid...

Most of us have been there, no worries. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...