[mythtv-users] Record with two tuners, play to two clients

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:05:21 EDT 2004

Hi.

I'm a MythTV newbie.  I'm going to build a system from scratch, but
I'd like to find out if the following is possible...?

My goal is a server that has two tuners, and only runs MythTV (plus
supporting software, like MySQL).  Obviously, this machine should be
able to record two programs at once.  But I'd like to be able to (from
two client machines) watch two programs at once (i.e. I'm in one room
watching a video, my wife is in another room watching/pausing live
TV).  The client-machines would be low-power/low-noise minimal
machines (maybe the XBox?).  The server wouldn't be directly used for
watching anything, and would probably be in another room entirely.

Can one server do this?  Record two streams and play two streams at
once?  Is hard drive speed a factor?  Would an XBox be an acceptable
client machine?

The hardware I'm considering is:

Motherboard: Chaintech 7NIF2
CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ (333 MHz, 512K Cache)
Memory: 512 MB (Kingston KHX2700/256, two of them)
Hard Disk: Western Digital WS2000JB (200 GB, 7200 RPM, UltraATA 100, 8MB Buffer)
Tuner: Hauppauge PVR-250 (two of them)
Case: Enlight EN 7472 (Tower, MicroATX, 200W)

As far as server software, I was considering KnoppMyth for sheer
simplicity, but I can always go with something else if necessary.

Also, if I set up a 802.11g network (right now I'm using "b"), would
it have enough bandwidth to not actually need to physically wire the
clients to the server?

Thanks for any info,
David