"Value-minded" system configuration (was Re: [mythtv-users] Lookingfor your experience)

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Sep 7 16:45:37 EDT 2004

Now if your really into value here's my box:

933 Mhz P3 Compaq Deskpro EN Small Form Factor (EBAY $75)
Hauppage WinTV (EBAY $5)
128 Meg 133 Mhz Dimm (EBAY $11.50)
120 G Western Digital (EBAY $30)
Scan convertor (EBAY $15).

Total spent < $140.  Works great as front/backend machine.

Ryan Steffes wrote:

>>If you are really into value, you should consider one of the AverMedia
>>M179's instead of the Haupage:
>>  http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>>At $53, its hard to beat and has the same encoding as the 250's. Most
>>people report good results, some don't.
>>It seems to be giving me good picture quality so far.
>> - Richard
>I hadn't heard of that so I briefly checked itout. I'd be a little
>nervous due to reviews like: "AverMedia m179, a 1st generation PVR-250
>clone, which had a horrible reputation due to its cheap tuner module."
> Glad you are getting good results with yours, maybe they fixed the
>Did find an interesting chart on the second page here though:
>mythtv-users mailing list
>mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Michael J. Lynch
Gcom Inc.