"Value-minded" system configuration (was Re: [mythtv-users] Lookingfor your experience)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 7 17:13:10 EDT 2004

On 09/07/2004 04:24 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:

>I hadn't heard of that so I briefly checked itout. I'd be a little
>nervous due to reviews like: "AverMedia m179, a 1st generation PVR-250
>clone, which had a horrible reputation due to its cheap tuner module."
> Glad you are getting good results with yours, maybe they fixed the
>problem?
>
>Did find an interesting chart on the second page here though:
>http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=pvr_card_id_guide

This was also interesting (from the chart after clicking next on the
page whose link you provided):

AverMedia m179: This is a discontinued model that had issues with TV
image quality. It has been replaced with the m150.  This is supported
under Linux via a patched version of the IVTV driver codebase.

I read this to mean that the m150 is also supported under Linux, but the
m150 is actually a Blackbird design using a Conexant CX32880 and it does
*NOT* work.  Too bad since it's only $4 more expensive than an m179 and
next generation with better image quality?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-100-007&depa=0

Mike