Fw: Fw: [mythtv-users] More FC2 MythTV problems...

1canuck2 1canuck2 at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 6 18:57:16 EDT 2004

Thanks for the replies, there is Progress!

It now plays live TV without crashing, but no picture, just audio. I had
spazzed on the mythtvsetup step and had selected vl card instead of PVR-x50.

So, I reran mythtvsetup and changed this, reinitialized with a new
mythfilldatabase and it still wouldn't work.

Then I chgecked perms on /dev/video0. Its ownership was mythtv/root, but its
perms were 600. So I chmod'ed to 660 and tried again. I now get audio but no
video. MythTV seems to "minimize" to a little icon in the top left corner and
I hear just the live TV audio. If I Alt+TAB to make MythTV the active
application the remote works (pause, rewind, etc) but there is no video
display.

A couple of weird things: when it starts playing I get this on the mythtv user
terminal window:
2004-09-06 18:41:45 Using protocol version 8
Input #0, mpeg, from 'rbuf://127.0.0.1:6543/video/buffer/ringbuf4.nuv':
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
2004-09-06 18:41:47 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
2004-09-06 18:41:47 Audio fragment size: 4096
2004-09-06 18:41:47 Using XV port 145
2004-09-06 18:41:48 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2004-09-06 18:41:49 prebuffering pause

Here's my questions: Why "Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'."? I followed
Jarod's steps for Alsa audio, I would have thought it would report alsa not
OSS, or is this normal?

More improtantly, and perhaps related to my video problem, if I go
to /video/buffer (the XFS partition where the nuv files are created) and do
an ls -l, the "ringbuf4.nuv" file it created has owner and group as root not
mythtv, which is not what I would expect. Have I missed a step when getting
the mythbackend to run? I checked it on in the Services panel, do I need to
tell it to run as mythtv instead of root?

Also, I just had it schedule a recording and the file it is creating there is
also owner/group of root.

I sure hope I am close to solving this, I truly appreciate the help from this
community and am eager to show off my MythTV box to my geek friends (and
perhaps win some converts...)

Robin