[mythtv-users] no keyboard within externel applications

Sebastian Heuer seb at belanur.de
Mon Sep 6 11:47:49 EDT 2004

Michael T. Dean schrieb:

> Generally, RootCommand is used to set the background.  I.e.  mine is
>  xsetroot -solid '#000000'
> To give me a clean black background in case part shows through (much
> better than the grey checkerboard pattern X uses by default).
>
> Instead, you can start mythfrontend using .xinitrc.  I do so with the
> line:
>  mythfrontend > /home/mythtv/logs/mythfrontend.log 2>&1
> as the last line in the file, so X exits when mythfrontend exits.  If
> you prefer to keep X running after shutting down mythfrontend, use the
> command
>  fluxbox & wmpid=$!
> above the mythfrontend command and
>  wait $wmpid
> as the last line of .xinitrc.

I used to start mythfrontend directly via .xinitrc, but that way I lost
keyboard control over every external program called by mythtv (like
mplayer etc). Starting mythtv via RootCommand is a way I figured out
while searching for a solution on the net. This is how it is used:

   in ~/.fluxbox/init:
       session.screen0.RootCommand      ~/.fluxbox/autostart

   in ~/.fluxbox/autostart mythfrontend is called.

Anyway, I will try your way of starting mythtv using .xinitrc.

> What are the settings for focus policy?  In ~/.fluxbox/init
>
> session.screen0.focusModel:     SemiSloppyFocus
> session.screen0.focusLastWindow:        TRUE
> session.screen0.focusNewWindows:        TRUE
>
> And autoraise?
>
> session.screen0.autoRaise:      TRUE
> session.autoRaiseDelay: 250
>
> Do you have any settings in ~/.fluxbox/apps (i.e. specifying that
> mythfrontend be on the layer "Above Dock" or that xmame and snes9x be
> on a lower layer than the default)?  Do the games have any preferences
> that allow you to request a specific layer?

I double-checked those settings, everything is configured the way it
should be... I recognized that I can't Alt-Tab' out of mythfrontend
though. I tried starting mythfrontend out of xterm, which worked, but I
was not able to switch back to xterm or to another workspace without
closing mythfrontend first.

~/.fluxbox/apps is non-existant here btw  ;)

thanks for your help,

seb.