[mythtv-users] Re: Cannot set a recording

Donavan Stanley GeckoFiend at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 09:38:03 EDT 2004

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:42:58 -0400, Michael J. Sherman
<msherman at dsbox.com> wrote:
> Yeah, the interface just threw me for a loop.  It appeared as a list of
> options.  It was not entirely clear that you had to scroll left/right to
> get options to change.  Perhaps a different UI scheme (something more
> standard) would be better and more intuitive; at least a little arrow
> indicator perhaps next to the option to denote the fact that you can in
> fact go left/right to change it.

Well, if you're using CVS you should be following the commits list,
which included instructions on how to use the screen (as do the
release notes Isaac linked to on mythtv.org).  Some further work will
be done on this screen in the future to add visual cues to indicate
when you can use left/right but pretty much everything on that screen
can be scrolled with left/right.

> Why the change from the popup window scheme?  That was at least
> intuitive; you had a few buttons to choose from and it did not present
> itself as a listbox.

Because the existing dialogs used Qt based controls and were not
themable.  Also becuase by using Qt based controls the "advanced"
option screen was way to busy (and scary for novices).  Also to enable
us to use ONE dialog for recoding options that's simple enough for
novices (select which type of record and hit record it) yet offers all
the bells and whistles to "experts".