[mythtv-users] Re: If You Were to Mass Produce MythTV Boxes...

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Sep 5 14:34:38 EDT 2004

I have a more important question..  How many people here would be
willing to BUY a box with mythtv preinstalled?

The company I work for has the means to (and a small amount of interest
in) build boxes (probably a low-end proc with a pvr-250 and good vid
card).  We can't provide support for mythtv, so it really becomes a
matter of how many boxes we'd sell vs the cost of R&D.

The other problem is that as a small company, we can't compete with the
prices from places like newegg (our wholesale prices are occasionally
even more than their retail prices).  So given that most people in the
mythtv community are capable of building their own boxes, and thus
getting their machine for less than we could sell it, there is a big
problem with trying to convince people to buy from us.

Anyway, I've put forth these arguments before.  I'd *LOVE* to be able to
help produce mythtv boxes, but it seems that the only real market for
them at the moment (esp. until we get zap2it surveys built in) is people
who "know what they are doing" -- and it's hard to convince those people
that paying $100-200 more for the same hardware is a good deal.

-Chris