[mythtv-users] Does MythTV Obviate a DVD Player?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 3 14:51:54 EDT 2004

On 09/03/2004 12:01 PM, Kyle Rose wrote:

>DanM <dan at milkcarton.com> writes:
>>There are times I wish I hadn't given away my DVD player.  I can't play
>>more than about 1/3 of one of the Lord of the Rings dvd's on my mythbox
>>before one of the libraries used by ogle craps out.  I think it's one of
>>the libraries because when I try to rip the dvd, it dies at about the same
>Try setting this environment var:
>and then running xine/ogle.  I ran into a problem about 8 months ago
>where I couldn't seem to play some DVD's, and it was due to libdvdcss
>using an algorithm that simply failed on certain DVD's.  The "key"
>method is slower than the "disc" or "title" methods, but much more
>reliable; and the keys are cached once you play the disc the first
>time, so I don't consider it all that problematic.
Or, adjust it in the configuration so you don't have to pollute your
environment.  It's available in the GUI configuration menu, but I don't
know which level of control you have to specify.  I usually just edit
the config file.  From .xine/config:

# CSS decryption method
# { key  disc  title }, default: 0

Note that the default method is key...

Now, I will admit that you won't have to do this kind of thing with a
set-top DVD player, but if you're willing to tinker, xine can be really