[mythtv-users] Re: SOLICITATION: Record/Transcode Parameters Wanted

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 2 16:25:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 11:46:27AM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
> > I can understand why a project in forward motion might resist too much
> > official-looking documentation about how the internals work (right now
> > :-); I'm trying to find a happy meedium.
> If there was some documentation, you would probably get more
> contributors. Except for the most trival changes, you'd have to spend
> a considerable amount of time wrapping your mind around the code, and
> by then, someone else may have re-written it anyway...

But, of course, that's part of the problem, as well as part of the
solution.  And you sort of *want* it to be a little hard, at least.

I'm going to attempt to extract the framework in an automated fashion
whereby it's easier to keep the wiki in track, and we'll see if having
it there helps any.

> >> With that and the schema, I might have a go at fixing the scheduler.
> >
> > The scheduler's broke?  :-)
> I just have to resolve "conflicts" that a smarter scheduler should be
> able to do on it's own way to often for my taste. Forcing stuff to a
> different encoder, or bumping stuff to a later timeslot or the like.
> I was thinking of a chess-like algorithm...

Well, Kevin Kuphal is flogging logging, and I've just suggested to him
making it show it's work while scheduling, so maybe you and he should

-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi