[mythtv-users] Hardware for Best TV-Out?

Dan Lanciani ddl5 at danlan.com
Fri Oct 29 03:14:54 UTC 2004

Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:

| 	"Complete solution."  Boy, that's marketspeak if I ever heard it!

Right. I'm looking for an Out of the Box Experience with a Total Cost of
Ownership <= $400 and minimal negative ROI. :)

Backing up for a moment, you mentioned:

|I have gotten an email from a guy at NVIDIA who says that so long
|as you use a standard size for the TVOUT, the driver will try to bypass
|the scaler on the card.

It appears to me that nVidia is trying to present whatever mode you ask for
(let's call that the virtual mode) in an area somewhat smaller than the
viewable area of a typical television.  That is, you see your desired display
surrounded by a narrow blue/purple border (don't know what that's for) and
fairly wide black stripes.  This suggests to me that the only hope of not
needing the scaler would be a virtual mode with fewer (perhaps considerably
fewer) than 480 scan lines.  Does that make sense?  I'm assuming that it
doesn't suddenly switch gears and make physical & virtual modes the same when
you hit a magic resolution (which would confuse anyone not looking for that
behavior :).

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl at danlan.*com