[mythtv-users] Lirc - could not open /dev/lirc

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 01:46:22 UTC 2004

Brian Donaldson wrote:

> I've been running MythTV 0.15 on FC1 for a while, but ran into some
> problems with 0.16 and decided to reload with Fedora Core 2 and MythTV
> 0.16.  I have almost everything working except for a couple things.
> I'm having somewhat interesting issues with Lirc.  I setup MythTV
> following Jarod's excellent guide and I also set it to start up
> automatically.  When this happens Lirc does not work.  However, if I
> execute the following commands and restart mythfrontend then Lirc
> works fine.
>
> [root at localhost mythtv]# /sbin/depmod -a
> [root at localhost mythtv]# /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> [root at localhost mythtv]# /sbin/service lircd start
> Starting infrared remote control daemon:                   [  OK  ]
> [root at localhost mythtv]# exit
> exit
> [mythtv at localhost mythtv]$ /usr/bin/irw
> 00000000000017e5 00 OK hauppaugegrey
>
> Now if I reboot Lirc stops working again.  I'm running Fedora Core 2
> with MythTV 0.16.  I have one PVR-250 with the Gray Remote.  Here's
> some info that may help:
>
> [mythtv at localhost mythtv]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 via-rhine
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
> # nvidia kernel module
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-6111
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> #options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
> #options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
> #add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
> #add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

am not an expert on these kind of things.. but I had the same problem
after a recent apt-get dist-upgrade

until i figure it out i just added a "/sbin/modprobe lirc_gpio" to the
end of /etc/rc.local

I *do* have "alias char-major-61 lirc_gpio" in my /etc/modprobe.conf and
I was under the impression this should load lirc_gpio on boot.. and it
*was* working until this update..

this seems to have fixed things for now..

hth

Craig