[mythtv-users] GF4 MX440 Color Improvement

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 20:01:10 UTC 2004

Hi All:

I have a mythbox up with a GF4MX440.  Fedora Core 2 fresh install.
I'm running the 6111 drivers.

Initially I wasn't able to find the 'nvidia-settings' utility.  I had
installed nvidia-graphics6111, the -lib and -dev packages, but still
no settings program.  ie: find / -name *nvidia-settings* yielded
nothing.

So, I found the source code for it from another distribution and
compiled it on the box.  Surprisingly enough, worked great first
time.

Now that I've got it up, overscan works nice and I can reduce
flicker, and most importantly, I can fix up the RGB tones and get the
color looking good like the signal from my VCR.

Here's my question:  Does anyone have a reliable procedure for
setting the colors right?  ie: print out this color card, compare
with screen test pattern.  Then adjust red slider till it matches,
then go through green, blue, etc.

I can muck around with the sliders, but they all seem to have a
correlated effect and its tough to get it looking perfect.

Thanks.

I was really disappointed with the GF4MX440 picture / color quality
until I started tweaking with nvidia-settings.  I may now be a
believer.

Also -- Any work being done on the X-Y offset problem in setup?  Now
that overscan is working, I'd like to be able to make the menus /
guides fit the screen.

Thanks,
John.