[mythtv-users] Aha! Okay, this might be a stupid question.....

Courtland Jones courtland.jones at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:19:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:52:05 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2004 14:32, Courtland Jones wrote:
>

> > (But maybe that also means a fast answer?)
> >
> > *ahem*
> >
> > Okay, I have been having problems getting my bt848 card to capture
> > something other than static. It finds no channels, all I see is static
> > and green.
> >
> > On examining my card, I see that it has a Temic tuner...  and a 28.63
> > MHz crystal, more or less meaning it's a PAL tuner. Here's the stupid
> > question part: I can't make this card pick up NTSC cable channels, can
> > I? No setting or weird config for this situation? I basically just
> > need to get a different tuner card, right?
>
> Yes, you need a different card. I have yet to see a tuner card that had a
> tuner capable of handling both PAL and NTSC.
>
> --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
> jcw at wilsonet.com
>
> Got a question? Read this first...
>      http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
>      http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

What a bummer! I could have sworn I had used this same card in Win32
to watch OTA TV. No wonder this has been driving me nuts! (Maybe I
have a faulty memory, and that was some other tuner I've since lost.)
Here I was thinking I could get this running without having to spend
any money. Oh well, at least TV tuners can be had for just a little
$$.

Now, all I have to do is decide whether to pick another bt8x8 or a
PVR-250. (That LifeView FlyTV Platinum sure looks cool with its fancy
silicon tuner, but I see there is no linux support on that puppy...)

Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply!

--
-Courtland Jones
courtland.jones at gmail.com