[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc - could not open /dev/lirc

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 27 07:39:54 UTC 2004

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for the OP, short of backing off to
lircd-0.7.0pre7, since lots of folks seem to have had problems with pre8, but
I would certainly like to clear a few things up here...

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 23:16, johnny at fishcounts.com wrote:
> Make sure in your /etc/modules.conf you have a line that says something
> like this
>
> alias char-major-61 lirc_xxxx

Er, Johnny, look at the stuff you quoted. He already has that in his module
config file, which by the way, is not /etc/modules.conf,
its /etc/modprobe.conf.

> It can be whichever lirc module you use... Here are the ones to choose from
>
> lirc_atiusb.o
> lirc_bt829.o
> lirc_dev.o
> lirc_gpio.o
> lirc_i2c.o
> lirc_it87.o
> lirc_mceusb.o
> lirc_serial.o
> lirc_sir.o

This isn't quite correct. The .o part should be left off. And by the way, the
modules are .ko w/2.6 kernels, which his distribution uses.

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:16:38 -0700, johnny at fishcounts.com
>
> > Chkconfig --level 35 lircd on

'chkconfig lircd on' is sufficient. The default is --level 345, so there's no
need to include the level flag.

[...]
> > Thanks for the help so far.  I did try the chkconfig command, but it
> > still does not work.  I think it was "/sbin/chkconfig lircd on".  Here
> > is my current /etc/modprobe.conf file.  What additional lines would
> > you suggest I add?
> >
> > [mythtv at localhost mythtv]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
[...]

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com