[mythtv-users] Re: myth with digital cable tuner

jds jds-myth at losdos.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 26 23:47:45 UTC 2004

john,

did you pause and consider that set top boxes employed by other mythtv
users may in fact not have a serial port?  it appears not.

to quote directly from my writeup:
"While most DirecTV receivers have rear panel RS232 ports which make
interfacing to MythTV trivial, the majority of DISH receivers and cable
boxes either lack a documented hardwired control port or the control port
has been administratively disabled.  For these cases, a simple IR LED
transmitter driven by LIRC can be used to emulate the remote and change
channels prior to recording.  This HOWTO describes the implementation of
this technique, and has specifics for interfacing with DISH receivers.  As
will be noted, it is very straightforward to use this implementation to
control alternate (i.e., non-DISH) IR-enabled devices."

summary: with $5 in discrete parts and fifteen minutes of configuration
your mythtv box can control most any IR-enabled set top box.

ps
thank you for including my unaltered email address in your reply.
i've returned the favor so the spambots have equal opportunity.

jds