[mythtv-users] Questions about IVTV / Avermedia M179

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 15:04:29 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 18:36, johnny at fishcounts.com wrote:
> I remember looking through the archives about people saying the
> quality of their recordings starts to degrade after time. Some people
> gave the solution to change the input by the method of:
>
> test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -p 1
> sleep 5
> test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -p 4 (or whichever you use)
>
> And this has not worked for me. Someone mentioned it may be a
> grounding problem so I double checked the ground for the cable line
> running to my mythtv box. Did that person mean grounding problem on
> the cable itself or grounding on the card? Was there ever a solid
> answer to what is causing these issues?  Sorry if this has been asked
> and answered before but I couldn't find an answer searching the
> archives. Thanks...

The only thing that works for me is to actually power off my machine for
about 10 seconds.  A warm reboot won't work; you actually need to cycle
power.

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware, but right after that my
power supply died, so until I get a new one I won't know if the newer
firmware fixed the problem :-(

-JAC