AW: [mythtv-users] Hardware for Best TV-Out?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Oct 26 13:02:41 UTC 2004

 	Aside from VSYNC tearing necessitating deinterlacing, the system
is brain-dead stupid.  There's no scaling, flicker filtering,
deinterlacing (on the vid card), etc, etc.  The PVR-250 captures
interlaced MPEG, and sends it out the VGA port interlaced.  When you say,
"jitter," do you mean flicker?  I've never paid that much attention to
ticker scrollers, but I'll look.  Keep in mind that there is no way to get
rid of flicker on a 480i signal without essentially lowpass filtering the
signal.  480i is 30Hz, so flicker is part of the deal.

 	The settings I use for X are a custom modeline to generate 480i
timings.  The actual resolution could be lots of things, so long as:
1. There are a total of 525 pixels vertically.
2. The total time to draw a single horizonal scanline is 15.734kHz
3. The signal is interlaced.

 	Other than that, the sky's the limit.  Of course, trying to see
any more than 480 vertical pixels will be off the screen at the
top/bottom.  I have made NTSC modelines for 480x480, 640x480, 720x480, and
1440x480... they're all fine.  Of course things that don't do aspect ratio
correction look a bit skinny at 1440x480, but that's another issue.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss							*
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 			*