[mythtv-users] CentOS

listman listman at depfyffer.com
Sun Oct 24 21:28:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 13:35, Mr. Myth wrote:
> mythtv at kevinslinks.com wrote:
>
> > The main reason that I would like to stay away from fedora core is
> > because they have 4 major releases each year.  I don't want to play
> > the fedora upgrade cycle if I can avoid it.  Maybe the fedora upgrade
> > is easier than I am thinking.  How was your transition from fedora
> > core1 to core2 to core3?
>

> I think you are confused about the fedora core release schedule.
>
> They are only releasing two releases a year.  When they have moved on
> the fedora legacy project is going to continue supporting the release
> with security updates for about another year.
>
> Many people are still running mythtv on fedora core 1 and will continue
> to do so for the next year.
>
> So, don't worry to much about the upgrade cycle.
>
> Michael
Just thought I would chime in here. I have a friend using FC1 and since
he didn't upgrade to FC2 and I did he is having more problems than me. I
don't know if it's errors on his part but it seems like mythtv is
evolving as fast if not faster than fedora and it's probably going to
get harder to get rpms for CentOS/RHES as things progress.
You are going to have to upgrade unless you simply want a working system
and never get the new goodies in each mythtv upgrade.
When I rebuild I get everything working, setup my schedule check my logs
then run modoarchive (mondo rescue) if anything should happen to my
system I pop in the DVD and type nuke, an hour later I have a fresh
system again. If your system is working fine and you want to upgrade
just remember to run mondo first, if the upgrade doesn't work right you
only lost a few hours and can go back to you old system ;-)
good luck.