[mythtv-users] CentOS

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Oct 24 20:15:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 13:48 -0600, mythtv at kevinslinks.com wrote:
> The main reason that I would like to stay away from fedora core is because
> they have 4 major releases each year.  I don't want to play the fedora
> upgrade cycle if I can avoid it.  Maybe the fedora upgrade is easier than I
> am thinking.  How was your transition from fedora core1 to core2 to core3?

In my professional life, I use both Fedora Core and Centos.  Regarding
the upgrade cycle, I'm of the opinion that skipping every other Fedora
release is the way to go.

At home, my main laptop (that I'm using to write this email) is running
FC3Test 2, while my myth boxes run FC1.  When FC3 has the bugs shaken
out, I'll cut over to it.

In your situation, I'd recommend using Fedora Core 2 over Centos-3
(RHEL3), as it uses relatively old versions of practically everything.
Then you can cut over to FC4 over time.  Besides, RHEL4 is coming
soon...

	-I