[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause problem - my conclusions - 2.6kernel

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Fri Oct 22 18:37:56 UTC 2004

> A few days ago I put together some spare hardware (PII @ 500/100mhz,
> 320megs
> RAM) for another MythTV frontend. I decided to install SuSE 9.1 with the
> new
> 2.6 kernel. I'm using a CVS version from 9/10 compiled for SuSE 8.2. When
> watching live TV I get every 2-4 seconds "prebuffering pause". When I
> watch
> a recording it's a bit less often but still quite noticeable. I read
> several
> posts concerning this problem and do a bit of debugging and basically get
> nowhere. The steps I followed:
>
> 1. Re-compile MythTV for SuSE 9.1 using a new CVS version - no difference.
> 2. Re-compile QT for SuSE 9.1 - no difference.
> 3. Re-nice X and mythfrontend to -15 - no difference
> 4. Move cards around making sure no cards are sharing IRQs - no
> difference.
> 5. Replace overclocked PII with a PII 400 and run it at 400 - no
> difference.
> 6. Swap memory making sure memory is true PC100 - no difference.
> 7. Remove soundcard thinking Myth could be waiting on audio IO - no
> difference.
>
> At this point the only thing I could think to try and getting rid of the
> 2.6
> kernel in favor of a 2.4 kernel I have on all the rest of my Myth boxes. I
> did a fresh install of SuSE 8.2 and started up Myth in live TV. Bingo! No
> prebuffering pause!
>
> Has anyone else encountered issues with Myth under 2.6? Could it be
> something particular with SuSE 9.1?
>
> - Mark.

I notice the prebuffer pauses (every minute or so) too on a new 2.6.8.1
kernel install (Slackware)
Playing back the the same recording on the same machine with 2.4.26 works
fine.
At first I tought it had to to with the new ivtv driver (upgraded from
0.1.9 . that I couldn't get to compile on 2.6.8.1) but since the prebuffer
pauses are there with recordings made with the olde ivtv driver I guess
not.

My guess is the video sync stuff is doing something with 2.6 kernels that
it isn't doing with the 2.4 series.

Steven