[mythtv-users] Multiple transcoders for different quality profiles.

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Fri Oct 22 17:32:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 13:21, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> The problem is that trascoding recordings largely negates the point of
> having several quality profiles because you are forced to pick a single
> bitrate for all transcoded profiles.
>
> I (and most other PVR-250 users) would like to have the ability to
> record in a single high bitrate profile then trascode that video to one
> of many trascoding profiles with varying bitrates.

The way I would like to see this work is to define an arbitrary number
of recording profiles, each with its own transcoding profile.  In your
example, each recording profile would have the same high bitrate
settings, but with different transcoding settings.

This could also be useful for using different transcoding settings for
HDTV recordings.  Of course, with HDTV, I would like for it to
automatically select a different profile based on the format (1080i,
720p, 480p, etc.).

--PC