[mythtv-users] Backend with really crappy hardware

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:16:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:17:29 +0300 (EEST), Kalle Pokki <kpokki at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> I just realised I have an old 66 MHz 486 machine with 64 MB memory in my
> storage room. Has anyone successfully run the backend with such a slow
> machine? I don't intend to run an X server or really anything else than
> what is absolutely necessary with that box. I do have two DVB tuners but
> just writing the data streams to disk shouldn't take too much cpu.
>
> What do you think, does mythbackend and mysql require more than 64 MB
> memory or would that just result in excessive swapping?

Well you could run the database... from the embedded mysql FAQ:
Q: What are the minimum system requirements for MySQL?
A: * Minimum memory: 1 MB of RAM
    * Minimum disk-based server: 4 MB of Hard Disk
    * Default disk-based server: 8 MB of Hard Disk

Also in terms of processing power, It shouldn't take much but what
would concern me is how fast it can write to disk. Also any
motherboard that does run with a 486 processor would most likely not
support larger hard drives. (I mean you may be stuck with 2 drives) I
don't know how feasable it would be to write to a network drive.

If you have a lot of free time and this is a spare computer you have
kicking around it couldn't hurt to try it as an experiment. However,
even if you do get it to work I don't think it would be very useful.

If you are looking for a project for it, then a router or a personal
use web server would probably be a better use for it. Maybe run
mythweb.
-Chris

--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi