[mythtv-users] RE: Getting VIA graphics to work, or buy a PVR-350?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 19:52:12 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 06:02, Travis Kelley wrote:
> Jarod.  couple of questions about your epia.  Do you reboot it every
> couple days?

Nope. All my Myth boxes measure uptime in weeks (actually, my master backend
measures in months now), the EPIA included. Biggest threat to uptime is my 2
year old son. :-)

> I found that if I rebooted say every 2-3 days I seldom saw
> a lockup.  If not what kernel version/patchset are you using?

Fedora Core 2, 2.6.8-1.521 kernel, ck100z ivtv driver with firmware patch
(this is where the firmware patch for the ATrpms ck100zz rpms came from), and
the ivtvdev X driver from Matthias.

> One sure
> fire way I could cause my epia to lock was to start a massive trasfer
> while watching live tv or while recording and watching at the same
> time.

Not something I've had reason to try. But then my EPIA is diskless.

> It seemed that the more bus activity I caused the worse it
> got...interestingly though with dma off on the hard drive it almost
> never locked.

Perhaps I've never run into any of this, since mine has no hard drive... I was
thinking primarily of the DMA problems related to the ivtv driver on VIA
chipsets.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com