[mythtv-users] Dual Output on Frontend - questions and ideas

Tom Dombrosky tbdombrosky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:18:29 UTC 2004

I think you'll run into problems unless you have all the same
configuration settings in the database.  The database stores values
based on a system's hostname so if you're using the same computer, the
values will have to be equal.

Also, I'm not sure it's possible to have video playing at the same
time on two different outputs (hardware overlay is needed and only
supported on one output, pci video would solve this).

I'm pretty sure it is possible to get two different X's working.  I
tried doing it with two video cards but I couldn't get it to work.  I
know others have though.  Here's what you might want to try.  Create
two user accounts, one for each instance of myth (you'll need to do
this because you are running two different resolutions and
mythfrontend caches the images).  On each account have a .xinitrc file
that loads up it's own version of irxevent and mythfrontend.  Have
irxevent use a .lircrc file that sends keypresses to the
CurrentWindow.  I don't think it would work if you used the native
lirc support.

I have to stress that these are just ideas.  I wouldn't want you to go
out and buy the hardware for this and not have it all work.  Good
luck.

Tom