[mythtv-users] MPEG recordings

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 20 02:47:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 08:45:33PM -0700, Alan Murrell wrote:
>   2. I am using a PVR-250 to do my recordings.  Whle a recording is
> happening, I notice almost no load or CPU usage on the recording server,
> which seems to indicate that the PVR-250 is indeed doing the recording (and
> therefore recording in MPEG-2 format), however, they are recorded with a
> '.nuv' extension, and when they are finished, I cannot play them in a
> "standard" media player, such as Windows Media Player, even if I rename the
> extension to '.mpg'.  I am guessing that this is what is happening:
>
>   - the PVR-250 is indeed recording in MPEG-2 format, and the '.nuv'
> extension is just a standard extension that MythTV uses
>   - when the recording is finished, MythTV is going through and flagging the
> commercials, and it is while it is doing this that it is transcoding to
> '.nuv' format

There's one more possibility: your Windows system doesn't have an MPEG-2
decoder installed.  Windows (except for MCE, I'm guessing) doesn't have a
built-in MPEG-2 decoder.  If you have a DVD player installed, you might be
able to use that to play files (of the different players available, I've had
the best luck with PowerDVD).  You could also get a recent version of
ffdshow (google for it), which is free (as in speech) and now handles MPEG-1
and MPEG-2 as well as all of the different flavors of MPEG-4ish formats.

I have a PVR-350 and an M179 in my MythTV box, and the files it creates from
either card play just fine on the various Windows boxen I have as long as
the extension is changed from "nuv" to "mpg".

  _/_