[mythtv-users] How did Jarod figure out ~/.mythtv/lircrc

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:15:18 UTC 2004

The easiest way to do this if you have the hauppague remote (and from
your post it sounds like you do), is simply follow jarods instructions
and place the appropriate lirc config files in the appropriate spot
(one tells lirc what the buttons names are based on the code the
remote transmits to the receiver (lircd.conf), and the other tells
myth what to do based an when a particular button is pressed
(lircrc)).  You can modify the second file to have the buttons do
whatever command you want them to do.  Look at the file itself, it
will need to be ~/.mythtv/lircrc, and it should be fairly self
explanatory, mine for example:
begin
prog = mythtv
button = uparrow
repeat = 7
config = Up
end

There should be a series of items like this, you need to specify the
program (mythtv), the name of the button (as listed in the lircd.conf
file which should be at /etc/lircd.conf), the number to repeat (varies
based on the remopte, I think the grey hauppague uses 3 or something
like that), and what the keyboard command for mythtv is.

If you do not have these files in the appropriate places, that is
problem 1, if you do, and have no remote functionality, you probably
have lirc setup incorrectly and can refer to Jarod's guide on how to
do that.  Otherwise, just modify the lircrc file to your liking and
refire up mythfrontend.  That should work