[mythtv-users] Still stumped on mythmusic

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 13:17:47 UTC 2004

I can not for the life of me get mythmusic or mythdvd to work.  They
are taunting me and they insult my manliness.  I'm thinking it may be
because the instructions are incomplete or insufficient, or perhaps
because I'm not finding them as intuitive as everyone else is.

My problem with both mythmusic is that it can't seem to find any of my
music or video files.  In the Select Music section, I see four options
(from memory), [] ALL MUSIC, (Something about) CD, Active Playlist,
Active Queue.  None of these options have submenus.

As a first troubleshooting step I checked directories.  mythmusic
expects music in /home/music/ and file template is: FilenameTemplate
             | ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK-TITLE  my directory structure is
such that it goes: /home/music/ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK so that looks right
to me.  My second step I need to ask for help on, should there be a
seperate table to hold the mythmusic info?  In the mythmusic source
directory there is a directory musicdb which contains some old
conversion scripts. In this directory is a README file that refers to:

If you are installing mythmusic for the first time, you just need to execute
the main metadata.sql script as described in ../README and in the online
documentation

Except it IS NOT described in the readme OR in the online
documentation.  I took this to mean it was a deprecated step, but I'm
wondering if that problems I have are caused by this.

My database looks like this:

mysql> show tables;
+----------------------------+
| Tables_in_mythconverg      |