[mythtv-users] pcHDTV support for normal TV over PVR-350

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 19 07:37:27 UTC 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 11:32, Robin Smith wrote:
> I get about 1.8GB per hour. I have my settings up higher than default
> as well. I think 256kbps for audio and 3800 for video.
>
> I'd be curious about the pcHDTV question as well. I want to order
> HiDef staellite and would like t capture shows at the closest to HiDef
> res as possible. As I understand it, the PVR-250/350 will capture at a
> max res of 720x480, which is obviously way below HiDef. If the pcHDTV
> card is capable of gett DOA content and displaying it at HiDef
> resolutions, would it support something similar from a Video In port?

No. The 3000 *might* eventually support cable HD, but only unencrypted
channels. Anything not directly tuned by the card is going to be 720x480 max.
These cards do NOT do any hardware encoding, they either dump High Definition
mpeg2 transport streams to disk, or they operate as dumb NTSC frame-grabbers,
a la any bttv card.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com