[mythtv-users] New User with a couple of questions

Steve Johnson sjohnson29 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 17 04:24:08 UTC 2004

No answers so far so I'll try my hand

> From: Jon Reynolds <jonr at destar.net>
> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:46:46 -0800
> To: "mythtv-users at mythtv.org" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] New User with a couple of questions
>
> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to setup a mythtv box and have some questions.
>
> I understand the master backend server needs a little beef to it and I believe
> I have that with a 1800+ and 512MB of RAM. I read that the frontend servers
> don't need a HD, is that correct? How do I install the frontend software
without the HD, would I have to use a flash or something, or did I miss
something?
I use KnoppMyth (http://www.mysettopbox.tv) and it has a frontend that runs
directly off a CD.

> What are the requirements for a frontend box as far as speed goes? I have a
> lot of  movies that are mpeg-4 compression and I want smooth playback. I was
> looking at the epia10K boards and read through the mailing list that this is
basically a pIII 500Mhz, is that correct?
Actually, if you use hardware encoding tuner cards (e.g. PVR-250) your
frontends should be the faster of the machines--not the backend. If you're
using hardware encoders, the backend can be very minimal since the encoding
is done by the hardware tuners--not the machine's CPU. The machine's CPU is
used if you use software encoding tuners and for decoding on frontends
unless you also have hardware decoders for TV-out (e.g. PVR-350).

> When I pause live TV with my freevo box this is what happens. When I check the
> channel guide from my service provider it takes forever for it to come up. I
> think it takes as long to come up as I have buffered for live tv, does Myth
> have this same problem?
I don't have this problem on my Myth box.

#1. User B in room B starts to record and it always records on pvr-350 #2,
> etc,etc. Is that possible or is it always round-robin?
I assume you mean having 4 tuners in the backend and having separate
frontend machines in each viewing room. I don't know for sure the answer to
your question here, but don't think you can assign the tuners to specific
frontends. Also, you'd save money by using PV-250s instead of 350s since you
wouldn't use the TV-out on the backend. If the backend is also a frontend
then you only need one 350 and the other 3 can be 250s.