[mythtv-users] S.O.S. : General h/w question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 15 18:16:25 UTC 2004

On 10/14/2004 05:21 PM, Maarten wrote:

>On Thursday 14 October 2004 21:52, zardoz at zardoz.ath.cx wrote:
>

>>yesterday, when I visited my local
>>store, i decided to build the new box with a celeron, and my dealer offered
>>me a micro-atx mobo from PCchips (never heard that before).
>>

>Dude, PCchips is about the lowest of the lowest brand of boards.  I've
>handled / bought them a few times and boy did I swear to never ever buy
>anything of that POS brand again.
>
>It may be entirely unrelated, but be suspicious of PCchips...
>
>Maarten
>
>Oh, P.S.:  I'm definitely not agreeing with you about your VIA / SiS
>statement.  If anything it's the exact opposite, Sis has caused me no end of
>troubles.  IMHO and FYI.

And, of course, a Myth box really needs the top-of-the line motherboards
out there...

I have a PCchips M848ALU (Athlon-based with SiS chipset) using a PVR-350
and PVR-250 (nVidia TV out instead of PVR-350 TV out), and I have to
"reboot" my Dish network satellite receivers more than my Myth box (have
to reboot the sat receivers once a month--had to reboot my Myth box
after I lost power during Hurricane Jeanne).  I helped a friend build a
Myth box.  He has the same motherboard, but has 4 PVR-250MCE's and his
system works like a charm, too.

I'm not recommending PCchips (or any other brand, for that matter)--just
observing that it's often easier to blame the motherboard than to blame
the guy who installed/configured the system. ;)

Mike