[mythtv-users] S.O.S. : General h/w question

zardoz at zardoz.ath.cx zardoz at ZardoZ.ath.cx
Thu Oct 14 19:52:45 UTC 2004

folks,

after tweaking myth since more than 12 month, and running on different h/w
platforms, I am lost today. It all began with a epia me600, moved to a msi
hermes, i decided to built a new system. (but maybe I should tell the tales
in a different email ;-).
All my previous systems had some kind of fan control, when the box booted, the
cpu-fan was running @ full speed, but after a couple of seconds it slowed
down to a more convinient level. yesterday, when I visited my local store, i
decided to build the new box with a celeron, and my dealer offered me a
micro-atx mobo from PCchips (never heard that before). It is build using the
SIS 650& 962L Chipset, so it was fine for me. (after having *LOTS* of trouble
with VIA chipsets). the celeron and its fan was pre installed. funny though,
the model is m935cg, but doesn't have any link/hit on their webpage.
back to my problem. when I power on the box, the cpu fan (yes, with 3 wires)
stays up at 5000rpm all the time. sounds like a drill. no matter if i go to
the bios or boot  a operating system. if I stay in the bios (AMI), you can
see the cpu temperature staying permanent at 28 degrees celsius while having
30 degrees ambient temperature. please tell me is this regular behaviour ? Do
I have to use lm-sensors ? what am i doing wrong ? (since all my previous
systems where doing it different)

any/every suggestion welcome !

thanks
---z