[mythtv-users] Performance really sucks here :(

Christoffer Kjølbæk christoffer at kjoelbaek.dk
Thu Oct 14 08:00:01 UTC 2004

ons, 2004-10-13 kl. 23:48 skrev Jarod Wilson:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 13:33, Christoffer Kjølbæk wrote:
> >
> > I think I have some problem with my installation here. I used Jarods
> > guide, on an Epia Via M10000n with a Hauppauge PVR-250.
> >
> > Everything works, but it is slow! My CPU is 1GHz. Ripping a CD to oog,
> > takes about 30-60 minutes, when the is doing nothing but ripping.
>
> EPIA processors are slow. That's not unexpected. Typically, people benchmark
> the 1GHz C3 on par with a Pentium III in the 500 to 700MHz range, depending
> on the application.
>
> > When I use mythgallery watching pictures, it takes about 1-1½sec to
> > switch between picture. If I am watching the command "top" at the same
> > time, mythfrontend uses about 80% of the CPU.
>
> Did you install any accelerated graphics drivers for the onboard video, or are
> you just using the VESA driver? Check out http://unichrome.sourceforge.net if
> you haven't already.
I am using the VIA driver, that comes with FC2. But I miss the modules
agpgart and via. I have tried patching the kernel with the epia-patch,
wich worked just fine. But, I can't compile ivtv, so I had to choich
between them :(

> > Is this normal, or do I just have a problem? I can also say, that I have
> > constantly harddrive activity. The hdd-led is flashing all the time.
>
> How much memory do you have in the system? Perhaps its not enough, and the
> system has to swap heavily. Remember also that the onboard video steals some
> system memory.
I have 512, free -m says:
             total   used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           472    360        112          0         13         72
-/+ buffers/cache:    274        197
Swap:          488      1        486

/Christoffer
--