[mythtv-users] Performance really sucks here :(

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 13 21:48:33 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 13:33, Christoffer Kjølbæk wrote:

> I think I have some problem with my installation here. I used Jarods
> guide, on an Epia Via M10000n with a Hauppauge PVR-250.
>
> Everything works, but it is slow! My CPU is 1GHz. Ripping a CD to oog,
> takes about 30-60 minutes, when the is doing nothing but ripping.

EPIA processors are slow. That's not unexpected. Typically, people benchmark
the 1GHz C3 on par with a Pentium III in the 500 to 700MHz range, depending
on the application.

> When I use mythgallery watching pictures, it takes about 1-1½sec to
> switch between picture. If I am watching the command "top" at the same
> time, mythfrontend uses about 80% of the CPU.

Did you install any accelerated graphics drivers for the onboard video, or are
you just using the VESA driver? Check out http://unichrome.sourceforge.net if
you haven't already.

> Is this normal, or do I just have a problem? I can also say, that I have
> constantly harddrive activity. The hdd-led is flashing all the time.

How much memory do you have in the system? Perhaps its not enough, and the
system has to swap heavily. Remember also that the onboard video steals some
system memory.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com