[mythtv-users] Question -- Attempting MythTV Build with LFS

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 23:51:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 16:30, Jim Gifford wrote:
>  Here is what I have hardware wise available.
>
>     AMD Thunderbird 1.1 ghz
>     768 MB RAM
>     Hauppauge PVR-350
>     Creative DRX-3
>     Sound Blaster 16 PCI
>     Wireless Network Adapter
>     10 GB - Hard Drive 7200 RPM - For LFS/Mythtv Requirement
>
> I'm getting ready to attempt to build a base Linux From Scratch System,
> with all the needed MythTV requirements. Here are my questions:
>
>     1 - Is my hardware OK?

I would have to say no.

>     If not, what piece is lacking

Or rather, pieces. First off, Myth can't do anything with your DXR-3 (its
DXR-3, not DRX-3). Second, a 10GB hard drive isn't going to be of much use.
That's not going to store more than a few recordings at a relatively low
bitrate, even if you keep your OS install pretty minimal (with the settings I
use, PVR-x50 recordings take up about 3.7GB each per hour). Your wireless
network adapter shouldn't matter, unless you're thinking of streaming video
to another machine over it, in which case, it had better be 802.11g, not b.

>     2 - Do I need both the PVR-350 and DRX-3, if I want to be able to
> record, and do playback at the same time.

No. The DXR-3 is worthless from a MythTV perspective. The encode and decode
functions of the 350 are independent of one another, you can record and play
back at the same time (but not record and watch live TV at the same time,
that requires dual tuners).

>     3 - Has anyone attempted to build this on a LFS system before, if so
> any pointers?

Mike Dean runs an LFS system, he may have some pointers for you.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...