[mythtv-users] Re: Athlon processors was: HDTV on Myth -- not a "myth" CONCLUSION

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 21:45:27 UTC 2004

--- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> I know my Athlon 2500+ is not up to the
> task of
> > decoding 1080i material on Xv.
>
> D'oh. You have a 2500? I could have sworn you had a
> 2800. That makes a whole
> lot more sense now. The 2500 runs a lower system bus
> speed (333 max, IIRC),
> and you've likely only got 256k on-chip cache,
> versus my 3200, which is
> running on a 400MHz system bus with 512k on-chip
> cache. I think the cache is
> likely a big win for HDTV. I've got a system with a
> 2600/333/256 in it, maybe
> I'll give that a shot at some point for comparison's
> sake... You must be
> drilling the cpu pretty good in Xv mode...

I tried a spare 2800 from another system for awhile.
It made little difference by itself.  Both the 2500
and 2800 are "Barton" cores and run at 333FSB with
512K cache.

I also have a "spare" AMD64-3200 and an nForce3 mobo I
could throw into the system.  Hmmm... I wonder if I'd
have to reinstall Linux or if it's close enough to
just put it in and boot...  I'm using KnoppMyth and I
have not recompiled anything for processor type (yet),
I'm just using the stock i686 debs for Linux and Myth
(except I did recompile mythfrontend).

Maybe I'll back up and just give it a go.  I'm not
feeling enough pain yet... :-)