[mythtv-users] Re: mpeg2 playback performance issue makes no sense

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 20:37:45 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 16:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:49:16PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Grant's problem may not even be related to the OP's issue.
> > Since he's using a laptop, it's entirely possible that there
> > is no (or buggy) Xv support;
>
> I don't believe that my laptop has Xv support when booted from
> the Knoppmyth CD.

Well, there you go.

> > laptop displays are notorious for these kinds of things.
> > Mplayer (& xine, I think) both support alternate output
> > methods like SDL,
>
> Xine and mplayer were both running under X.

Yes, they're running under X, but that wouldn't necessarily preclude
them from using the SDL output method.  Also, were you running them
full-screen?  Because that's where you'd see a difference.

Both Xv and SDL support the ability to use your video hardware to do
scaling.  This is necessary because usually your display is not running
at the same resolution as the decoded video.  If you're using your CPU
to scale the video from, say, 720x480 to 800x600, that would explain
your CPU usage.

-JAC