[mythtv-users] Lirc with Universal Remote question

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 05:25:10 UTC 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 21:41, nowhere wrote:

> Thanks for replying Joe! Unfortunately my question is more to do with
> the irrecord process, which both you and Jarod have not documented. You
> both start assuming a lircd.conf file exists for the remote in
> question.

Though I actually did create my initial config file using irrecord...

> My problem is that this is not the case and irrecord is not seeing ANY
> remotes I try even when I set the remote to emulate a Philips VCR known
> to use RC5 and even when I use the remote that is currently working
> with
> mythtv.
>
> I'm betting that I have to remove current config files or something but
> I'm not quite sure what to mess with. Every howto and tutorial out
> there
> assumes you are either starting from scratch (ie no lirc configs at
> all)
> or already have lircd.conf files for your remotes.

The presence of an lircd.conf file does not matter one iota to
irrecord. That file is only for lircd's benefit, which should NOT be
running when you fire up irrecord, because if lircd is running,
irrecord can't grab the lirc device.

> If anyone knows what I have to diable/remove/do to get irrecord to see
> my remotes let me know!

Make sure you don't have lircd running, and see if you get any further
w/irrecord... If you've already killed off lircd, then I dunno... All I
did w/irrecord after stopping lircd was:

# irrecord test.out

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com