[mythtv-users] Search Words confusion?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Oct 11 09:59:30 UTC 2004

rcatrow wrote:
> I am confused about the way "search words" works.
>
> My wife has requested that I be on the look out for the last two episodes of
> Dawson's Creek: "All good things" and "Come to an End" or something simiar. So
> I thought to my self "I'll just use the "Search Words -> Title" function so if
> they ever come on (lord knows TBS shows Dawson's Creek about a billion times a
> day) I'll be sure to get them. Well after playing around with both Search
> Words -> Title, and Search Words -> Keywords, I am confused about how they
> work.
>
> It appears that if I search by "Title" if I type in "dawson" I get all
> upcoming Dawson's Creek episodes. If I type in "dawsone%abby" (Abby is the
> name of an episode that is currently in my program guide), I get no results.
> If I type in "abby" I get no results. Now, if I search by "Keyword" and type
> in "dawson" I get all upcoming Dawson's Creek episodes. If I type in "abby' I
> get the "Dawson's Creek: Abby" episode. But if I type in "dawson%abby" I get
> nothing. This confounds me.
>
> So I guess my question is how can I search by both title and episode name? Or
> can I not. It seems like "Keyword" allows you to search episode names, just
> not in conjunction with title's?
>
> I am seriously confused. Any help would be appriciated - at least by my wife
> anyways ; )

There are three descriptive fields involved; title, subtitle and
description. These are each stored in separate fields in the db.
The search phrase has the SQL wildcard character appended to the
beginning and end and the match is case insensitive. For Title, the
check becomes something like "where title like '%dawson%abby%';"
There are no titles that match this. For Keywords it checks all
three fields so it becomes "where title like '%dawson%abby%' or
subtitle like '%dawson%abby%' or description like '%dawson%abby%';".
There are no subtitles or descriptions that match either.

For the example you gave, the best way would be to simply find
Dawson's Creek in the EPG, progfinder, conflicts list, or where
ever and press "o" (see keys.txt) to get the upcoming episodes
list. Given a title with subtitles, it lists the subtitles in the
box and you can quickly find that "The Abby" is on TBS at 10am on
the 20th. Press Enter for recording options.

--  bjm