[mythtv-users] Matrox G400: Blue screen watching TV or recordedprograms

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 05:46:28 UTC 2004

Alan,

To the best of my knowledge, MythTV doesn't work very
well with the framebuffer alone.  I know that there
was an effort in porting it to only the framebuffer,
but I don't know it's status.  Therefore, you're
restricted to running X on top of the framebuffer.

There's an excellent writeup on using the G400
framebuffer with X at the Freevo website, of all
places:
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/DocumentationPage_2fMatroxInfo

If you don't compile the Matrox G400 support into your
kernel, then you'll need to load in these modules:
i2c-matroxfb
matroxfb_Ti3026
matroxfb_crtc2
matroxfb_maven

The size parameters that you give to the framebuffer
will vary based on your TV, but here's what I was
using (for 800x600):
/usr/sbin/fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -left 36 -right -16
-upper 100 -lower 30 -hslen 42

-- Joe