[mythtv-users] Recording 24/7

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Oct 8 22:15:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:31:15PM +0100, Jake Smith wrote:
> I know it has been raised before, but I couldn't find any recent
> discussion thread about it..
>
> I'd like to know if you can or if there are plans to allow myth to:
>
> 1) Record the program you are currently watching - *including* the part
> that has already passed and is in the ring buffer (to the extent that is
> is there)

FWIW, you can manage this manually, if you're motivated enough: wait
until just after the end of the live tv show, go to the ringbuffer
directory, and copy that running ringbuffer file, without stopping your
livetv session, to another file.  Mplayer will play it just fine, IME.

> 2) To continue recording LiveTV into the ring buffer even if you exit
> LiveTV and/or myfrontend. (maybe I'm missing something here, what
> happens if you had two mythfrontend watching LiveTV or is that
> impossible?)

If you have more than one card, it's common.  If you want to watch the
same ringbuffer from more than one frontend, it's a feature I'd like to
see, as well, but the operational semantics might get messy.

> It would also be nice to
>
> 3) Record a program or partial that is in ring buffer that is *not* the
> current program but one in the past but still in the ring buffer

How far back you can go depends on how long your ringbuffer is set to
be.

> I fully realize these are all interconnected and involve more or less
> the same issues to do with the ring buffer, time frames and file handles
> etc.

Yep.

> Would just like an update-to-date account of users (and developers)
> opinion on above and likely prospects?

I'm sure they'd be happy to accept a patch.  :-)

Seriously, I agree with you if you think that intake on this codebase
is likely to be a bit of a bitch because it's so big -- it's worse for
me cause I don't speak C++.

But I wouldn't hold out *too* much hope on Enhancement Requests; it'll
take luck....

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi