[mythtv-users] Help with ivtv & sbp2 mass storage on bootup

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 04:31:44 UTC 2004

I'm having 2 separate (well, maybe 3?) problems with my boot sequence,
and I'm hoping someone here can help.

Problem #1:
I have to periodically power off my backend and reboot.  This is due to
the picture quality from one or both of my 2 M-179 cards getting really
crappy over time.  I understand that this is something that currently
can't be resolved by unloading/loading the ivtv module; only a power-off
resets the cards properly.

Problems #2 & #3 are annoyances made more annoying because of Problem
#1.

Problem #2:
When I reboot (using a FC1 setup from Jarod's guide; mythbackend started
from /etc/init.d/mythbackend; I think it's the last thing to run), I
don't get a 'good' ivtv initialization.  I don't have the mythbackend
log messages or the /var/log/messages output right now, but basically
every time I reboot I immediately have to:
   - modprobe -r ivtv
   - modprobe ivtv
   - /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart

It's gotten to the point where I made a button in the Myth menus to do
this for me, but I'd really like to be able to use the auto-wakeup
feature, which means I need a fully working backend from an unattended
boot sequence.

Problem #3:
Not really Myth-related, but... I have an external FireWire hard drive
that I use for mythmusic & mythvideo content.  This drive does not get
auto-mounted.  I have a script that rescans the SCSI bus every time the
sbp2 module is loaded/unloaded; the script runs during the boot sequence
but doesn't detect the drive; if I unload/reload the sbp2 module after
the system is completely booted, the drive is automatically recognized
and I can easily mount it.  Any suggestions?

TIA,

JAC