[mythtv-users] Help with ivtv & sbp2 mass storage on bootup

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 7 06:39:32 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 21:31, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> I'm having 2 separate (well, maybe 3?) problems with my boot sequence,
> and I'm hoping someone here can help.
>
> Problem #1:
> I have to periodically power off my backend and reboot.  This is due to
> the picture quality from one or both of my 2 M-179 cards getting really
> crappy over time.  I understand that this is something that currently
> can't be resolved by unloading/loading the ivtv module; only a
> power-off
> resets the cards properly.

My M179 stopped being so problematic when I moved it around on the
mobo, so it gets picked up as /dev/video1 after my 250. Of course, that
doesn't help w/a dual M179 setup... I've found a few other annoyances
w/my M179s that are prompting me to look into the ivtv code to see if I
can maybe fix them...

> Problems #2 & #3 are annoyances made more annoying because of Problem
> #1.
>
> Problem #2:
> When I reboot (using a FC1 setup from Jarod's guide; mythbackend
> started
> from /etc/init.d/mythbackend; I think it's the last thing to run), I
> don't get a 'good' ivtv initialization.  I don't have the mythbackend
> log messages or the /var/log/messages output right now, but basically
> every time I reboot I immediately have to:
>    - modprobe -r ivtv
>    - modprobe ivtv
>    - /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart
>
> It's gotten to the point where I made a button in the Myth menus to do
> this for me, but I'd really like to be able to use the auto-wakeup
> feature, which means I need a fully working backend from an unattended
> boot sequence.

How about just putting that sequence in /etc/rc.local? Going back to my
last ph, I haven't seen a bad load since moving my M179 to be the
second card to init. Oh, and what ivtv version are you running? If
you're still using 0.1.9, you might try bumping to ck100zz from
ATrpms...

> Problem #3:
> Not really Myth-related, but... I have an external FireWire hard drive
> that I use for mythmusic & mythvideo content.  This drive does not get
> auto-mounted.  I have a script that rescans the SCSI bus every time the
> sbp2 module is loaded/unloaded; the script runs during the boot
> sequence
> but doesn't detect the drive; if I unload/reload the sbp2 module after
> the system is completely booted, the drive is automatically recognized
> and I can easily mount it.  Any suggestions?

Mount the drive from /etc/rc.local, or hack your initrd to include the
sbp2 module (and dependencies) and load it right off the bat, so the
drive can get mounted at the same time as the rest of your mounts. The
problem is that FC tries to mount all partitions before loading modules
besides the ones in initrd.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com