[mythtv-users] Re: Transcoded file not playing back on PVR-350 out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 6 23:55:46 EDT 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 19:24, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 07:03:06PM -0700, DCL wrote:
>
>> Once I transcode a .nuv file it will not play back through my PVR-350.
>
> What format did you transcode to?  AFAIK, the PVR-350 only
> plays MPEG2 streams.

The 350 can only provide hardware assistance on mpeg2 streams, but with
the right codec or enough cpu power, you can play whatever the hell you
want out the 350. It just isn't optimized for anything but mpeg2.

> Only if they're MPEG2.  [Though I'd be pleased as punch to find
> out I'm wrong and the '350 can play MPEG4 streams...]

My M10000 w/350 couldn't play back Myth recordings transcoded to mpeg4
worth beans, but using -vo x11 in mplayer, I could play xvid and ffmpeg
mpeg4 rips just fine.

>> If so, what settings should I set up for transcoding and/or
>> playback?

I just don't bother transcoding anything. Hard drive space is cheap,
and there isn't much on TV I'd ever want to keep around for very long
after watching it once (but ymmv there).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...