[mythtv-users] looking to upgrade my mythbox -- can a pvr-350 do it all?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 03:22:19 UTC 2004

Gabe,

The answer here is a definitely maybe, depending on
what you can live with.

The PVR-350 is basically a 2D device, with no hardware
acceleration (i.e. XVideo), it is a glorified
"blitter".  Granted, this glorified "blitter" has
amazing 2D output.

With a beefy CPU, you can play video files back using
MPlayer, and it's ivtvosd driver - my understanding of
this is that it uses DMA to write to the memory on the
PVR-350's ivtvdev X driver.  It will suck up your CPU
though.

DVD's can be played back by Xine (I find that mplayer
doesn't handle DVD's very well due to it's lack of DVD
menu support), and on my Athlon XP 2400+, Xine uses up
about 30% CPU, and complains about dropping frames.
Mind you, the output on the PVR-350 is so crisp that I
just don't notice it.

MythGame will be a beast.  Using XMAME (the only
emulator I have tested), you can play games in a
window (at about 60-65% CPU load on the same Athlon XP
2400+), but there's no full-screen support that I can
see (no DGA support).

If all you care about is great TV, then the PVR-350 is
almost perfect.  Otherwise, you'll need a decent
TV-out card, of which, I haven't seen a good one yet,
and I've tried a Matrox G400, GeForce 440MX (with NV18
TV-out chip), and an ATI Radeon 9700 (the card from my
desktop, just testing it out).  Then again, I guess
I'm pretty picky, that's why.  :)

-- Joe