[mythtv-users] command line access to MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 5 15:43:40 EDT 2004

On 10/05/2004 03:00 PM, Fernando wrote:

>Do MythTV filenames have any hint as to what they contain?
>In other words would they be closer to 20041012.mpg or to
>Nova.2004.10.12.mpg

Filenames look like: 1024_20041003150000_20041003170000.nuv
(where the three parts separated by underscore are channel ID, start
time, and end time--in other words, not very user-friendly).

However, there are scripts available that make "pretty" versions of the
filenames available as soft links in another directory.  My (slightly
customized) version makes links like:
20041003_1500-1700-Nova-Origins__Earth_Is_Born__How_Life_Began
for the same file where the portions are start date, underscore, start
time, dash, stop time, dash, program title, dash, episode title (a.k.a.
subtitle).  Because it's a simple perl script (distributed in the
"contrib" directory), you can modifiy it to use any format you prefer,
or could even create different "views" of the filenames in different
directories (i.e. one that includes start and end time information, one
that includes only program title and episode title information, one with
far fewer special characters to make it easier/faster for TTS programs
to read etc.).

Mike