[mythtv-users] Dual BT-878 Performance/Configuration Questions..

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Mon Oct 4 13:54:42 EDT 2004

All,

   I want to get rid of my noisy, power hungry, PC based front ends. I
would like to replace them with XBoxen since I have proofed the concept
and it seems to work well enough with the quality of TV I am encoding.
I would like to fold my dual frontend/backend machines into a single
backend and use the XBoxen as front ends. Thing is I am not sure if a
Athlon XP 2000+ (1.667GHz) with 512MB of RAM and a 8MB cache 80 GB IDE
disk will handle two 640x480 MPEG4 at 2200 streams. Any ideas? Also,
how will I capture the two audio sources on the sound card? Will I need
two sound cards for capturing the audio off of the two TV cards?
Currently each TV card in each backend is using an external 3.5mm loop
patch cable off of the audio out of the TV card into the line in of the
sound card. One frontend/backend a Sound Blaster Live and seems to have
a load of jacks on it. Seems like the one card could handle two audio
inputs at the same time.

Regards,
    John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
    Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
    http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110