[mythtv-users] Problems with Pundit/FC2/PVR-350 & Jarod's guide

Buchanan, Paul (West) Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Mon Oct 4 08:37:06 EDT 2004

On Saturday, October 02, 2004 2:43 PM, mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
wrote:
> I am having the same problems that mythtv at calibreassociates posted
> twice about. I have included his second message below. I also have a
> Pundit, running a fresh install of FC2, have a PVR-350,  and following
> Jarod's guide. The only difference between he and I is that I am not
> yet attempting to use the TV-out of the PVR-350.
>
> The problems that I am having (which are the same as in the post
> below)
> are as follows:
> 	- When I do /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv, I am missing the following 3
> 		lines: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
> 		ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
> 		ivtv: Registered v412 device, minor 224
> 	even though it looks like the PVR-350 is detected, and I see no
> errors listed.
>
> 	- When I do cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg and then mplayer
> /tmp/	test_capture.mpg, MPlayer crashes with the following message:
> 		MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: preinit_libvo
>
> Does anyone have any ideas???
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

> ---------------------------
> posted by: mythtv at calibreassociates
> subject: Problems w/ w4l2 & saa7127 on FC2
> date: Sept 2, 2004
>
>   [second post... please help! thx!]
>
> I've run into two problems following Jarod's guide to install MythTV
> on
> a Pundit
> Box w/ a PVR-350 running FC2. First, when I run:
>
>   # /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
>
> I get the following output [snipped]:
>
>   ivtv: Autodetected WinTV PVR 350 card
>   ivtv: Found an iTVC15 based chip
>   saa7115: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
>   tuner: chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
>   ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011
>   ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
>
> The output is incomplete. I don't get the expected output from
> "tuner:"
> or from
> "ivtv:" as illustrated in Jarod's guide.
>
> I continued with the install anyway to try to determine where the
> problem is.
> In testing the TV-Out connection I did the following:
>
>   # /sbin/rmmod saa7127
>   # /sbin/insmod saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=1 test_image=1
>
> Which resulted in:
>
>   insmod: can't read 'saa7127': No such file or directory
>
> I continued the install a few steps further to see if the problem
> would manifest
> again. So, after running:
>
>   # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -u 0x3000
>   # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4
>   # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
>   # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -v input=3,output=1
>
> I captured video, and tried to play it with mplayer.  Mplayer
> produced:
>
>   No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones
>   (-v option for details)! vo: X11 running at 1024x768
>   with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0" => local display) Disabling DPMS
> [...]

I just did an install with FC2 on a Pundit from Jarod's guide.  I ran into the same problem, MPlayer crashing with a signal 11, but I went on with the install anyway.  To my surprise, Myth appears to be working ok.  I have not tried MPlayer since, but I suspect it may be a MPlayer problem.

Hope that helps,

Paul