[mythtv-users] ivtvdev, atrpms 47_pre2_ck100zz feedback, X on PVR-350 TV-Out

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 3 13:10:40 EDT 2004

On 10/03/2004 12:08 AM, Michael Fenston wrote:

> 1) It appears ivtvdev is not part of the stuff I got from atrpms (got
> an error about not finding it in the Xorg.log while following Jarod's
> guide for the PVR-350 TV-Out) ... where can I get this and what is the
> version I should be using?

I'll leave this one for Axel or Jarod or someone else using FC.

> 2) Is it possible to adjust the TV-Out display in general such that
> all the overlay text stuff can be seen?  I noticed some of the text
> was hidden in the corners on my test tv.

Yes.  In Setup|Appearance, you can specify the GUI size.  Note that with
the 350 TV out, you might have to check the box to run MythTV in a
window for the size settings to have any effect.  If so, just set your
window manager to remove decorations from Myth windows.

> SageTV had a nice feature that allowed the user to adjust the size of
> the 350 output with the remote control ... like a normal monitor
> (shrink/expand horizontal or vertical ... move left/right/top/bottom)
> ... too bad the core function was crashing all the time ... good thing
> they gave an eval period!

:)

> 3) Is is possible to merge my original xorg.conf and xorg350.conf
> files together so I can see the same output on both at the same time?
> My test TV is a little blurry so I would like to be able to continue
> debug with the monitor for awhile.  My plan is to really test this
> well before putting it out in the living room (again).  Ticked the
> wife off the first time around!  That is my advice to all after my
> SageTV experience.  Use the TIVO (or VCRs) until you have all the
> quirks worked out of whatever PC based PVR you eventually decide on! :)

Possible, yet.  Stable, probably not.  Most of the time when running X
on the PVR-350 framebuffer, having a video card driver installed causes
significant instability.  I tried to debug that way, but found it caused
too many problems, so I just hooked it to the TV (where I couldn't read
a bunch of stuff), and used X Windows redisplay via ssh to work my way
through the setup section.

HTH.

Mike