[mythtv-users] Playing complete DVDs from disk?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Fri Oct 1 12:18:37 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:56, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> This probably is asked some time before but...Is is possible to play
> complete DVDs from disk with either mythvideo or mythdvd? My mythbox
> lacks a dvd drive but I have plenty of diskspace to put some DVDs on it
> (vob, ifo, bup files etc).

Sure.  I use xine as my player for mythvideo, but for files ending in
.dvd, it uses a script that changes the DVD device to the file in xine's
config file before telling xine to play a DVD.

Here's my script:

#!/bin/csh -f
if ( x"$1" == x ) exit 1
mv ~/.xine/config.dvd ~/.xine/config.dvd~
sed '/^input.dvd_device:/s:.*:'$1'' ~/.xine/config.dvd~ >
~/.xine/config.dvd
shift
xine --config ~/.xine/config.dvd $argv

This would be a lot simpler if xine would allow the dvd device to be a
command-line parameter instead of only settable in the gui (or by
hacking the config file where the gui saves it).

This is also a useful trick if you want to take a DVD on a laptop with
you when traveling--I'll bet that the hard drive takes less power than
the DVD drive by a large margin.

--PC